Sean Hungerford's practice includes the regulatory and environmental aspects of natural resources law, with an emphasis on resources development, water quality issues, and development rights. His practice extends to all aspects of land development review and permitting, including all ancillary state and federal permits and approvals that accompany the local permitting process and land use regulation. Sean regularly speaks on environmental and land use issues.
Sean is licensed to practice in California and Nevada and advises clients on land use and environmental matters throughout the West. He is admitted to practice before all California courts and the United States District Court for the Eastern and Northern Districts of California and District of Nevada. Sean received his economics degree from the University of California, Irvine in 1994, and his law degree from the University of San Diego School of Law in 1998.
A snapshot of Sean's practice includes the following:
- Specializes in NEPA and CEQA law and practice, including applications to commercial, residential and industrial types of development.
- Focus on water-quality compliance and enforcement under federal and state law, including NPDES permitting.
- Counsel for numerous national mining companies, providing advice and representation on permitting and reclamation, closure, NEPA and state environmental requirements, and compliance with water, air, hazardous materials, and other regulatory programs.
SEMINARS, PRESENTATIONS AND OTHER ENGAGEMENTS
- Citizen Enforcement of the Clean Water Act: Problems/Solutions, CalCIMA 2019 Education Conference (Napa, November 2019)
- Unconstitutional Conditions, CalCIMA Education Conference (Anaheim, November 2018)
- Clean Water Act Citizen Suits, Primer + Defensive Techniques, CalCIMA 2015 Educational Conference (Monterey, November 2015)
- Clean Water Act Enforcement, What Contractors Need to Know, AGC's Annual Legal Retreat (Rancho Palos Verdes, September 2015)
- Federal Lands Minerals Permitting (San Bernardino, 2015)
- SMARA Technical Course (Sacramento, October 2014; Corona, October 2014)
- CEQA Baseline for Mining Operations: Coping with Shifting Market Demands, CalCIMA 2013 Educational Conference (Napa, November 2013)
- Regional Resource Planning: Is the Future of Mining Permits Local?, CalCIMA 2012 Educational Conference (Rancho Mirage, October 2012)
- Native American Sites - Negotiating the Cultural Landscape, CalCIMA 2011 Educational Conference (Monterey, October 2011)
- NEPA for Resource Development Projects (Santa Fe, NM, February 2011; San Bernardino, March 2011)
- Streamlining NEPA for Mining Projects, Annual Meeting, Exposition & Short Courses, Northwest Mining Association (Spokane, December 2010)
- Administrative Civil Liability for Water Quality Violations: Avoiding/Minimizing Exposure, Annual Education Conference, California Construction and Industrial Materials Association (San Diego, September 2010)
- Streamlining the Environmental Review for Water Infrastructure Projects, California Water Conference, Society of American Military Engineers (Sacramento, October 2009)
- Opportunities to Shorten Mine Permitting, California Construction & Industrial Materials Association, 2009 Annual Education Conference (Lake Tahoe, October 2009)
- A Practical Guide to Development Agreements and Exactions (Redding, October 2007; Sacramento, November 2007)
- Tools for Understanding CEQA (Sacramento, November 2006)
- CEQA Seminar (Sacramento, November 2005)
- Updates Editor, American Law of Mining 2d, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation